Look, I’m aware of the fact that I spent most of the year on tumblr, drinking old fashioned’s, getting hair cuts and snorting fun dip with carnies & villains, but there was plenty of music & television in between said exploits. Don’t lose faith in me as I’m currently in internet rehab and will be around much more in 2012. Hit the cut for the Top 30 Releases, Top 5 TV Shows, Top 5 Live Shows and a Top 5 Beverages (seriously) list – all things I enjoyed in 2011.
[ Previous Year-End Lists: Sunbear's Year-End Lists | Top Memes of 2011 | The LOST Songs of 2011 | 2011 weworemasks.com Reader's Poll | Top Sports Moments of 2011 | Best Music Videos of 2011 | Top 10 Live Shows of 2011 | Top 10 Disappointing Albums | Top 10 Worst Lil Wayne Lyrics ]
1. The Horrible Crowes – Elsie
Two words: Brian Fallon.
2. J. Cole – Cole World: The Sideline Story
Jermaine took his time putting this album together and it paid off. The best lyrical album of the year and (mostly) self-produced to boot.
3. The Throne – Watch The Throne
Because fuck you, that’s why.
4. Charles Bradley – No Time For Dreaming
Charles Bradley sings as though every single bit of his heart and soul are in every word on No Time For Dreaming, and I honestly believe that was the case. Read up on his back story, dry your eyes and pick this up as soon as possible.
5. The Weeknd - House Of Balloons
Possibly the most exciting new artist of 2011, Abel put his name on everyone’s lips this year with a winning aesthetic, and even better music.
6. Alkaline Trio - Damnesia
What’s not to love about one of your all time favorites re-imagining most of their best work with fantastic results?
7. Ravenhill - Lions EP
A small band that I still don’t know a ton about, but this name your price EP is mind blowing.
8. Raphael Saadiq – Stone Rollin’
Saadiq switched up his formula some for Stone Rollin’. It’s grittier, it’s better.
9. Drake - Take Care
Everyone’s most anticipated of the year, Drake didn’t disappoint by sticking to what he does best and perfecting it.
10. Common - The Dreamer, The Believer
All I can say is, Common Sense is back.
11. Boy & Bear - Moonfire
12. Kendrick Lamar – Section.80
13. The Roots - Undun.
14. Taking Back Sunday – Taking Back Sunday
15. Dustin Cavazos - Be.Leave.Me
16. Defeater - Empty Days & Sleepless Nights
17. Gotye - Making Mirrors
18. Ben Saunders – You Thought You Knew Me By Now
19. The Black Keys – El Camino
20. Trophy Scars – Never Born, Never Dead
21. City & Colour – Little Hell
22. Saves The Day – Daybreak
23. Mayer Hawthorne – How Do You Do
24. Theophilus London - Timez Are Weird These Days
25. Big Sean - Finally Famous
26. Chuck Ragan - Covering Ground
27. Big K.R.I.T. – Returnof4Eva
28. Frank Ocean – nostalgia, Ultra.
29. Wale - Ambition
30. Social Distortion – Hard Times & Nursery Rhymes
2. How I Met Your Mother
3. Happy Endings
4. It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia
5. The League
I was late to the train on Happy Endings but hot damn I love that show. All the others have been favorites and didn’t disappoint this year save for some odd plot choices in HIMYM.
1. Morrissey - 11/17/11 – Dallas, TX (McFarlin Auditorium)
2. Watch the Throne – 12/6/2011 – Dallas, TX (American Airlines Center)
3. Glassjaw - 2/21/2011 – Houston, TX (Warehouse Live)
4. Eli Paperboy Reed – 03/16/11 – Dallas, TX (The Loft)
5. Chromeo - 11/20/11 – Dallas, TX (House of Blues)
I just realized I saw Morrissey, Kanye West, Jay-Z and Glassjaw live in the same year. Wow. And I was only (mildly) drunk at one of said shows (Glassjaw)!
1. Jameson & Ginger. My go-to drink. Simple, delicious.
2. Old Fashioned’s from The People’s Last Stand & Cedars Social. Both of these Dallas cocktail dens made their name with this classic in ’11. And for damn good reason.
3. Creme Brulee Milkshake from Ketchup Burger Bar. A milkshake with Sailor Jerry’s Rum, 151 and a marshmallow set on fire. What’s not to love?
4. Blue Moon Spiced Amber Ale. Best seasonal beer ever.
5. Post Oak Pumpkin Ale by Brooklyn Brewery. I must have tried 15 different pumpkin and Oktoberfest brews this year, and this was at the top of the list. Amazing blend of pumpkin/spices.
Questions? Comments? Hate? Love? Hit the comments for that, and in the meantime, lurk me all day:
It’s only getting better next year, stay tuned ya’ll.