Memorial Day, Scmemorial Schmay. We’re on track this week with the sports update. The Stanley Cup Final is set, the NBA Conference finals are underway and we had an Adam Morrison sighting this week.
Hit the jump for the breakdown of this week’s recap.
-grizzly and vish (@thevhb)
Our predictions for the Eastern Conference and Western Conference Finals. Check em’ out.
Following flagrant fouls in Game 5, Udonis Haslem and Dexter Pittman were suspended for 1 and 3 games respectively. Miami will be without Pittman for the next two games in the Eastern Conference Finals after they knocked off the Pacers Thursday Night. They hope that Bosh will be able to come back after he participated in some drills on Sunday.
-Adam Morrison looks as good as ever, after trying out for the Brooklyn Nets. This is real.
- Jerry Sloan apparently wants to return to coach. He has expressed interest in the Orlando Magic and Charlotte Bobcats, the latter of which he interviewed for this week.
-The All-NBA First Team included: Dwight Howard (C-ORL), Kevin Durant (F-OKC), Lebron James (F-MIA), Kobe Bryant (G – LAL), Chris Paul (G – LAC).
-The NBA All-Defensive First Team: Dwight Howard (C – ORL), Serge Ibaka (F – OKC), Lebron James (F – MIA), Tony Allen (G – MEM), Chris Paul (G – LAC). Anyone confused as to why the Defensive Player of the Year (Tyson Chandler) didn’t make the first team? Us too.
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs:
The Los Angeles Kings beat the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday night to advance to the Stanley Cup Final. Barely sneaking into the playoffs, the Kings are one of the hottest teams now.
The New Jersey Devils will represent the Eastern Conference after they knocked off the top seeded New York Rangers. They will face the Kings in the Stanley Cup Final. The Devils started off as a #6 seed, while the Kings were a #8. The NHL Playoffs are super unpredictable, aren’t they? Game 1 begins this Wednesday at 8:00 pm.
Vish’s Prediction: I think the LA Kings will continue their amazing run and beat the Devils in 6 games to become the Stanley Cup Champions. The goaltending battle will be a great one to watch, as 26-year-old Jonathan Quick will face off against the 40-year-old veteran Martin Brodeur. The Wingers for the Devils and Kings, Ilya Kovalchuk and Dustin Brown have been on tears lately and can take over the game from the offensive standpoint.
- Albert Pujols hit his 450th career homerun on Thursday.
- Roy Halladay left the game Sunday after 2 innings with shoulder soreness. If he does not return, could be another devastating loss for the Phillies.
- Adam Jones signed a 6 year, 85.5 million dollar contract extension with the Baltimore Orioles . Must be nice.
- Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox hit his 400th homerun on Sunday.
- Hakeem Nicks fractured his right foot Thursday and will be out for some time. He should be back by the start of the regular season.
- Nick Fairley of the Detroit Lions was arrested for the second time in two months. This time he was charged with DUI and attempting to elude the police. The Lions’ defense relies heavily on Fairley, who is not doing a good job of having great character.
Dario Franchitti won the Indy 500. This his third win in the last 6 years.
What to Watch this Week:
NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs:
The Stanley Cup Final
NBA Draft Lottery – Wednesday, May 30
Western/Eastern Conference Finals:
(1) San Antonio Spurs vs. (2) OKC Thunder
(2) Miami Heat vs. (4) Boston Celtics
3 games: Arizona Diamondbacks @ San Francisco Giants
3 games: New York Yankees @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
3 games: Atlanta Braves @ Washington Nationals
3 games: Baltimore Orioles @ Tampa Bay Rays
Thanks for reading!
-grizzly and vish