We’re back at it again. I’ve recruited my cousin to do a year-end list, consisting of the best moments in professional sports this past year. While we had a “Top 10″ list last year, this year’s list took a different route. So instead, you’ll see a “highlight reel” of sorts – namely a month by month breakdown of what some of the memorable moments were from 2011.
As always follow thevhb on twitter to keep up with his latest musings.
[ Previous Year-End Lists: Best Music Videos of 2011 | Top 10 Live Shows of 2011 | Top 10 Disappointing Albums | Top 10 Worst Lil Wayne Lyrics ]
-grizzly & thevhb
so tonight was the VMAs, and i bypassed watching for personal plans and of course, breaking bad. here’s a quick rundown of anything interesting that happened as the reruns play:
-lady gaga is a fucking moron. i’m not gonna act like i don’t appreciate her music (save for born this way – the album blows), but as gawker so eloquently put it, she jumped the shark tonight. i actually MISS the meat dress.
-what the hell crawled up justin bieber’s ass? too cool to cheer for the throne, gaga (her performance was pretty good), adele and others – but he didn’t hesitate to yell “that’s my boy!!!!” after chris brown played? also, you definitely borrowed that outfit from your “runaway love” remix collaborator.
-beyonce announced she was pregnant in the absolute most endearing way. i’m no softie, but i was super stoked on kanye and jay buddying it up when she announced it to everyone. i mean, just look at the gifs!
-adele had an amazing performance. (below the jump)
-wayne’s performance was pretty bad. (up top)
-nicki minaj won best hip-hop over eminem, kanye and wayne. the hell?
-mtv is still kissing britney spears’ ass.
-kevin hart is still terribly unfunny.
-hit the jump for performances from adele, beyonce, gaga, bruno mars (amy winehouse tribute) and chris brown.
click here for full sized flyer.
with austin’s always lovely fun fun fun fest lineup revealed, everyone’s shittin’ their pants in anticipation. for the first time in its residency, it will:
a. be 3 days long, as opposed to 2
b. be hosted by the auditorium shores, as opposed to the dogshit waterloo park
c. have slayer playing
sunbear and i will probably be there, passed out in the grassy knoll from smuggling in vodka and roofies (for each other, obviously) in water bottles.
photo credit: jocelyn allen
about 3 hours late, but whatever. tracklisting below the jump! happy summer, yall.
and now we have a mixtape from the new class. some gems on here, but you already know there’s plenty of whooooooo kiiiiiiiii!!! chants and definitely a few shitty songs. hit the jump for the tracklisting.
2011 xxl freshman mixtape
This time of the year is always pretty hectic. Between not paying for badges and getting into half of the shows we wanted to, getting drunk and finding free shit, SXSW can be a pretty pressing time. Luckily, we don’t complain that much. We threw up a mixtape prior to the event, but in any case, this recap will be quick and to the point. You’ll find each day broken down into who and what we saw, accompanied by blurbs written by Sunbear and I — all will be marked for your convenience.
You’ll also find some photos we took, many from Sunbear’s Instagram binge and some from my shitty point and shoot. Enjoy!
-grizzly & sunbear
it’s that time of the month!
1. aloe blacc -fourteen
2. bad rabbits – human nature (mj cover)
3. bat for lashes – strangelove (depeche mode cover)
4. big k.r.i.t. – dreamin’
5. big sean – my last [f. chris brown]
6. blu – amnesia (rewind)
7. bruno mars – grenade (doo-wop remix)
8. childish gambino – freaks and geeks
9. donnis – blackberry molasses
10. glassjaw – stations of the new cross
11. gorilla warfare tactics – the tale of mr. street
12. j. cole – nothing like it
13. lykke li – i follow rivers (acoustic)
14. manchester orchestra – simple math
15. pusha t – my god
16. the pains of being pure at heart – belong
17. the strokes – under cover of darkness
super weak. lil b and lil twist? fuckin yelawolf? kendrick lamar, big k.r.i.t., diggy and cyhi are cool, but the rest of the list is pretty meh. thoughts?
photo credit: michael chung.
the first mix of the new year…on time! sorry that ace hood track is on here (and as the first song! – for the record, it’s in ABC order), i just can’t help myself sometimes. also, the mister/mr./mrs. thing was a total accident.
1. ace hood – hustle hard [remix f. rick ross and lil wayne]
2. childish gambino – be alone
3. consequence – tell ya boss to holla at me
4. edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros – up from below [itunes sessions]
5. glassjaw – gold
6. hourglass sea – crystal kross
7. j dilla + madlib – louder [blast your radio theme]
8. kanye west – eyes closed [f. john legend]
9. madvillain – avalanche / victory lap
10. mister heavenly – mister heavenly
11. mr. brady – catch [f. aloe blacc]
12. mrs. magician – the spells
13. raphael saadiq – radio
14. sleigh bells – tell em [diplo remix]
15. theophilus london – why even try? [f. sara quin]
16. trae the truth and z-ro – r.i.p.
label-founder peanut butter wolf mixes a good 50 minutes of the 2011 stones throw roster into a super podcast. there’s some madvillain, madlib, mayer, dam-funk, j. rocc and awww, you know the rest. download the whole thing below.
stones throw 2011 mixed by peanut butter wolf
that’s right. all dates, ticket info and poster purchases can be seen at that link. february 20th ftw.