Here we go, folks. The first mixtape of the new year. Sorry we skipped on December!
1. Cam’Ron and A-Trak – Humphrey
2. Chromeo – Come Alive (feat. Toro y Moi)
3. Cloud Nothings – I’m Not A Part of Me
4. Fickle Friends – Swim
5. The Hold Steady – I Hope This Whole Thing Didn’t Frighten You
6. I am the Avalanche – The Shape I’m In
7. Manchester Orchestra – Top Notch
8. The Men – Pearly Gates
9. MrMark – Hard to Handle (feat. Elizabeth Miller)
10. Real Estate – Talking Backwards
11. St. Vincent – Digital Witness
12. Talib Kweli, Elzhi and Phonte – No Competition
13. Tycho – Montana
14. Vic Mensa – Suitcase (feat. Chance the Rapper; Peter Cottontale Remix)
when charity starts at home dropped last year, this was my favorite song off the record. the beat is unreal, and all three verses are ace. so how could this video be better than the song itself? easy – evidence couldn’t show up for the shoot, so phonte’s mom took over and lipsync’d the voice.
phonte and 9th wonder are the latest guests on our friends show, the come up show. they discuss upcoming endeavors, among other things. what’s important here is that the footage was lost, but the editors did a great job of salvaging the audio and trying to make it work with what they had. check it out above.
the little brother/foreign exchange front runner saw solo success last year with charity starts at home, which was quite good. to start of 2012, he drops a great video for “dance in the reign,” directed by kenneth price.
as if the lineup wasn’t enough, throw in 9th wonder behind the boards and you have a recipe for success. or you know, phonte’s new single from his upcoming record, charity stays at home. the album drops september 27th, which seems to be the release day for a lot of great albums.
by now, you’ve probably heard the brand new record from the foreign exchange, authenticity. phonte and nicolay have put together a celebratory documentary amidst all the celebration and praise of the record, and it’s pretty awesome. this three part documentary clocks in at under 20 minutes, so it’s not TOO long, and it’s definitely a must-watch for any fan of the band.
parts II and III under the jump, and authenticity is in stores now.
the soulful leanings of phonte (little brother, snitches.) and his side project, foreign exchange (hip-hop’s answer to the postal service), will see the release of their 3rd LP authenticity on october 12th. really looking forward to this one, despite the incredible generic and piss-poor cover art.
1. The Last Fall
3. Eyes To The Sky
4. All Roads
5. Fight For Love
6. Maybe She’ll Dream Of Me
7. Don’t Wait feat. Darien Brockington
8. Make Me A Fool feat. Jesse Boykins III & Median
9. Everything Must Go
10. Laughing At Your Plans feat. Chantae Cann
11. This City Ain’t The Same Without You feat. YahZarah
i haven’t given leftback a proper listen, even though it hits stores tomorrow. in any case, a lack of 9th wonder has left a gaping hole in the group, even though it’s not like pooh and phonte forgot how to rap. here’s a trailer for an aptly titled track off the record, curtain call, which should be hitting the webs soon enough.
as phonte and pooh gear up the release of leftback, their final record, it’s only natural that i miss the production of 9th wonder. however, this is a nice track produced by khrysis, so not too much crying here. leftback drops on 4.20.